Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October 14, 2009

What points from this article do you feel are most important?

Finding the equilibrium: making sure the consumer feels comfortable enough in the environment to not recognize the uncomfortable feelings.

Know the consumer/audience: male vs. female, typical behavior, psycological/emotional/physical tendencies

Environment/subtle details: understand the space, create an aura, portray a "personality" with design

"Typing": predict products people purchase-in a way it's stereotyping, quizzes or regional grouping, "Market Mavens"- job to shop and resist pitches, new factor for typing analysts.


How much do you personally feel you are influenced by a store's design?

Although I truly try to make myself aware of possible "traps" in a commercial setting, I know that much to my dismay I succumb to the tactical and strategic booby-traps set up by the store. Personally, I feel better about breaking-down when I am shopping and conscious of the store's design. Whereas, after I make my purchase, it is then I relect and I realize how I was manipulated... leaving me feeling ashamed and guilty.

Make a checklist you could use to analyze a retail store like Paco Underhill does.

pay attention to the following:

My feelings & instincts

Who the design is targeting? Am I being manipulated? How much time am I spending in the store? What am I doing in the store?

typical behavior, psycological/emotional/physical tendencies of people like me in this setting

Environment/subtle details: understanding the space, creating an aura, portraying a "personality" with design

getting in and getting out as quickly as possible... resisting sales-pitches and other tempations

No comments:

Post a Comment